Monday, September 18, 2006

Simon R Green is my brainmate.

Simon R Green is in my head. Simon R green is a sci fi fantasy author. I first found one of his books-Deathstalker on a layover in the UK going to Nigeria.

The book was defective. A good chunk of pages were misplaced in the book and it really disrupted the flow of the story. Even with such a damning error on the publishers part, the book was amazing. I laughed out loud , stomped my feet and luxuriated in this tale.
the plot wasn't mind blowing. the prose wasn't that incredible. It was his imagination. He had one of the most vivid imaginations I have ever read in a while and it showed. I love the characters. I loved the way they acted.
He takes a genre and pounded it til it fit the way he wanted. His words had Charisma. That is the best way i can describe it.

It is like wrestling. Most of the time, it is 2 muscle bound guys faux fighting on the ring. Yawn!!!!
Sometimes it is the Freaking Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin going at it and U know that it isn't the same.
Now u might be asking yourself. why? Why is this guy so taken by this author? I will tell you why. Simon has balls. Big brass ones. He is one of the few that will take a archetype and twist it around and inflate it til it is 10 times as big as it was before and much crazier. I keep doing double takes on the liberties he takes with characters. A dragon with a butterfly hoard? A Alien reptile called Saturday? The Ashrai? A Norwegian Demi God private detective? the madness maze? The Walking Man, the burning man, the Unbeliever, Razor Eddie, the sisterhood of the travelling razor, Street of the God, Jennie Sorrow- the Unbeliever? Haceldama? The snide humorous dialogue. it is awesome!!!

I think I have read more than 10 of Simon's novels. Under the Blue Moon/Beyond the Blue Moon are still one of my fave books to read.
Jericho Lament is my favorite character in any book so far. Bar none. I think he appeals to the christian in me. Jericho Lament, God's wrath made manifest in man. the man strikes a chord in me with his writing. I don't know what characters he will spring on me next.

I also noticed that he seems to throw in christian influences in his books. Of course there are other Gods but usually the Christian God isn't one to be F**ked with either. I think i like the fact that he is willing throw it into his gumbo stew of a story. I just think it is cool. By no means a Christian author but it is still cool.

Jesus is hardcore!!!!!!

Going back on what I wrote, one would think that I like the guy a little TOO much. Not so. I just enjoy his work and I think it shows int he way I describe it to people. I do have bitch points on Simon Green too..
The deathstalker series went on 3 books too long. Obviously, he was paid to lengthen the series. i am not going to fault his the chance to make more money. Imagine a situation where Happy Potter has graduated and working a wizard 9-5 job and it unhappy about it. Yeah, he took that story line way TOO long.

Read Deathstalker 1-3 and enjoy. read 4-6 at ur own risk.
Then read Under the blue Moon then adventures of Hawk and Fisher then Beyond the Blue Moon.
Drinking the Midnight wine, Shadow fall, the Nightside series and maybe the ancillary Deathstalker books. U will be in for a wild ride. my mind runs free when I read some of his works.

I will come back and add links to this post so u can check him out if u are in the mood for some truly fun reading.

edit- added links. enjoy folks.

No comments: