Sunday, January 21, 2007

Need for community

I was driving on my way from the gym recently. My car is my refuge. The place where my thots can be collated and categorized. I find that I need quiet and solace to reconcile the floating thots in my mind.

As I drove, I realized something. I have my wife, my companion, my homie et all. I still need community. I still need to belong to something that is inherently male.

It has taken me a long while to realize this. The need to recreate my old school friendships. Toona, Biobele at FGC Warri, My guys at Texas A&M.

One needs community. We need to have something that gets u out of your shell and meet new people. We are grown folks now. We have left almost all institutions that allow us to mingle with our age mates.

I have used different things to substitute for community for a while now. Online forums. Other things that haven’t worked properly. I have thot that it would come naturally or they will gravitate to me. I dunno what I was thinking but it was wrong. I realized that I need to seek it. I need to create it.

I need to create a community of people that I can interact with. They don’t need to fully understand or appreciate me. There could be a better reason to gather like a volunteer group or church group. I dunno what it is but I think I know what I need to do.

Being a couple is not a enuf. If that is all the companionship we need, it will get stale and unappreciated. We need to meet other people and interact, build relationships with them.

I don’t think I am crazy.

1 comment:

Vivian said...

No i don't think you are crazy either and I am so happy that someone has finally said something about the need for community. Everyone wants act as if they can make it on their own. They do not want to come off as needy and dependent. God made us to be people people.So go out there and find the community that you need.