Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Poor Poor Millionaires

 
Read this NY Times articles about Millionaires not feeling like Millionaires. Now, I was very intrigued. "I wonder if these are stock millionaires on paper" I thot as I clicked on the link. Well, I was right and I was wrong. Some of the whiners in this article did have $1- 5 million in the bank but were still toiling away trying to maintain their lifestyle.
 
One person was quoted to NOT be able to maintain lifestyle if they stopped working whilst being a millionaire. I almost fell off my chair invoking the spirits of Stupidity to reach out and strike this man down. I mean, what kind of expenditures are u rocking that doesn't allow you to live off a couple million????
 
Yes, they live in Silicon valley but BITCH move!!!!!!! Come to Texas!!!  Sell that $750000 "dream" home and buy a $300000 dream place by the lake that has EVERYTHING u had in Cali but only bigger. Then u can use the ~half a million you have left over to DO WHAT THE F**K you want to do.
 
What is this some sort of gilded rat race?  They are in the 1% of the world's population in wealth and you are pulling 60 hour weeks and clocking in on weekends? WHY? For what? My problem is that there are folks making a quarter mill a year and living the Vida loca.
 
What is the point of having millions yet u spend 750000 on a house??? I swear, we are amazing creatures us humans. How we get used to so little and still survive yet folks have soo much and they still sound like they don't have enough.
 
there was an adjoining article that spoke more to what I was taking about. making do with $10 million. $10 million !!!!! This guy spoke of friends that spent a quarter million on a car but rarely takes it out cuz he is scared of getting a dent on it. Parks it miles away cuz he doesn't want folks to ding it. You would think that rich people like that would be smart enough to see that he could have bought 4 E class Mercedes with that money. Shoot with a quarter million. Buy one Mercedes and pimp it out so it has dent proof covering!  If u can put Purple ostrich skin covering on your car, you can get dent proof covering dammit!!
 
You know, the root of it all is vanity. Dat is all it is.  things you just GOTTA have..
 
A $500k house in the "right" neighborhood becomes a $4million place.
$250,000/yr in Mortgage
$50k in taxes
$100k /yr in private schools ( walahi!!)
$50k for private college.
$50k for Summer home.
$250k for country club fees- Dear God in heaven..
 
U know what? If this is what is to be rich then I don't want to be. This is scary how much money u have to spend to be among the elite.
 
now granted, not everyone rocks a million dollar home. If u go from 4 mill to quarter mill then u have spent a lot less but  u gotta wonder on where the sweet spot is. That point where u earn more than u spend and save enough. I don't know if there is a magic number of earnings. I think it is a matter of state of being.
 
I don't care who u are but with $5 million in the bank with 8% interest, you should not have to work again. Sell your million dollar (paid for!!) home and move to saner parts of the country.  Move to Austin where u can be just as snobbish and fake but for a LOT less money. Beat that!!!

2 comments:

Vivian said...

Cosigning on everything that you said...so true. I think in our society..we are more about our wants than our needs..everything has to be in copious amounts and in excess..and people are paying the price and it need not be.

neo said...

they don't hear you tho..it trips me out sometimes..I guess it all depends on how you were raised, I find that some ppl who were raised to be thrifty and spend only when necessary don't always fall into these types of situations/probs.