Saturday, August 26, 2006

Sweet Baby Jesus of DRM!!!

Remember Napster and Yahoo music?? those progs that let u download as much music as possible as long as u pay ur monthly fees? Music rental if u will?? cool notions but the thot of renting music rankles some folks. whenI say folks I mean geeks like me. i had Napster for a while for work. Seriously, my job required me to use Napster pretty well. ;)

When I cancelled the service, 5 gigs of music on my computer could no longer be played. useless..wasting space. I had a deletion bereavement ceremony.

Now I see this on a gadget website.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/25/fairuse4wm-strips-windows-media-drm/

Essentially, this prog removes the DRM from tbe wma drm file u download from Napster. So essentially, u can pay $15 a month to get as many files as u want!! Until M$ sees this and fixes it.

See this is the problem with DRM and digital music. Am suprised it took them this long to figure it out. I don'tfeel bad for record companies at all. Firstly, they force feed us tripe i.e $17 CD with 1 good song on it. refused to release the single of that good song. no wonder students( the money bags that they are) jumped on the digital music bandwagon
so hard.

It took3 yrs before mainstream realized folks were downloading like gangbusters then that shit exploded due to the Gospel according to Shawn Fanning. Creator of the Original napster.My his name be praised at hallowed websites.

6 sue crazed years,itunes later, pe ople are STILL downloading like crazy.

Now this... if u want to test out the free trial of Napster or Yahoo music, this might be a good time to do so.. the worst is that u end up with a least some cool new music til they fix this exploit.

If u are a student that gets free Napster or Yahoo at ur school. Dear God in heaven, I envy u. you have been given the power to emancipate ur slaved WMAs. Free them!!! looose the chains!!! Give them frrrreeedddooom!!! of course that shit is illegal but freeing slaves was illegal at a time.

yes, i see the absurdity of comparing slavery to WMA DRM. Bite me!!

No comments: